How to fix your High Ping in RuneScape and OSRS in a few clicks [Solved]
You may not need a top-tier graphics card to play RuneScape at its best graphics settings. But you are still susceptible to suffering from problems related to your internet connection. So if you have been dealing with high latency issues, we'll show you 7 ways to fix your High Ping in both RuneScape and OSRS. But before that, you must first know how to show your ping in RuneScape.
Method #1: Check the RuneScape and OSRS Server Status
Before applying any more complicated methods, you must check the RuneScape game server status to know if the game is not just in regular maintenance. You can check the official RuneScape Twitter page or go to the RuneScape Forums to see if there's any update on the server status. And there's also an exclusive OSRS Twitter page where you can find news and updates about the game's servers.
Method #2: Reboot your Router and Modem
An effective way to solve several issues related to your internet connection is to reboot your router and modem devices. Doing this can also reduce ping latency issues in all RuneScape servers and any other game. For this method to work correctly, you need to do a proper power cycle on your devices, or else you'll need to reboot your devices multiple times. Follow this simple guide to learning how to do this power cycle:
- Unplug both your modem and router from the power source.
- Wait approximately 20 seconds, and plug just the modem back into its power source.
- Wait 90 seconds more, and now plug the router back on its power source.
- Wait for all green lights to be on before testing your connection.
- Now, go back to the game to see if your ping has improved.
If you keep suffering from internet lag issues, you should contact your internet service providers to see if this internet connection issue is occurring because of problems on their end. If the problem is not on their end, you should consider changing your router or modem devices.
Method #3: Use an Ethernet Cable
In many cases, it's impossible to use a wired connection due to physical barriers in your home, but if that is not your case, and you have the choice to switch from a wifi connection to a wired connection, do this immediately. Wireless connections are more likely to suffer from network lag and other internet connection issues, including a super high ping in RuneScape. After making this change, go back to your RuneScape server and test if your internet connection is working. If not, you must check if your cable is indeed working.
The price of the ethernet cable can differ, but this doesn't interfere with the quality of your internet connection. You are good to go with basically any network wire that can work.
Method #4: Close Background Apps
Another simple way of lowering your input lag in the RuneScape is limiting your network data usage by closing apps consuming your bandwidth while you play. So if you want to reduce lag and keep an overall lower ping, end all the background apps you are not currently using. On Windows, you can see the list of apps running in the background using the task manager. Here's a step-by-step guide to know how to close these apps:
- Right-click on the Taskbar, and click on Task Manager.
- Click on the Network column. It will show the apps in descending order. The ones with the most bandwidth usage will be first on the list.
- Select the apps that you want to dismiss and click on End task.
Method #5: Configure the Windows Update Delivery Settings
If you keep switching from a different server when dealing with internet lag while playing RuneScape, you can solve this issue by changing the Windows Update Settings default configuration. The system's default settings allow Windows to update automatically, and these updates can happen at any moment, even while you play RuneScape. Just follow this simple guide on how you can change this configuration:
- Go to the Windows search bar, search for Windows Update Delivery Settings, and press Enter.
- Click on Advanced options.
- Mark the Percentage of measured bandwidth, and mark the first square that limits the bandwidth usage for downloading updates in the background.
- Put the percentage bar on 10% or less. This configuration will limit bandwidth usage and improve your Ping in RuneScape.
Method #6: Update your Network Drivers
Keeping your computer drivers updated is highly recommended to guarantee that your devices are working at their best capacity. So be sure to have installed the latest network driver version if you are experiencing lag spikes while playing RuneScape. Every Windows version has a tool that automatically searches for the drivers on the internet. Here's an easy step-by-step guide to learning how you can update your network drivers:
- Go to the Windows search bar, search for Device Manager, and press Enter.
- Click on Network adapters to collapse the list, and right-click on the first option.
- Click on Update driver, and choose the Search Automatically for drivers option.
- The system will see if you are using the latest version of your Network driver. If not, it will download and install the latest free version of the driver.
Method #7: Open Ports on Your Router for RuneScape
Routers usually don't allow incoming network requests from any unknown source. The design is this way to protect your home's network from possible attacks. But this feature can also restrict the RuneScape servers from delivering some information packets, and this can cause some connectivity issues. Opening these ports can be complicated, so pay attention to the following step-by-step guide to learn how to open these router ports:
- Before anything, you need to know your router's IP address and your PC's IP address. You can display both using the Command Prompt.
- Go to the Windows search bar, search for cmd, and hit Enter.
- Now in the Command Prompt, type the command ipconfig and press Enter. The router's IP address will be displayed next to Default Gateway, and the PC's IP address will be displayed next to the internet protocol version 4, the IPv4 Address.
- Go to your browser and enter the router's IP address in the address bar.
- The router program will probably ask you to log in with your Username and Password, do that to advance.
- Now, this next step will vary depending on your router, but try to find the Port Forwarding option.
- In the Port Forwarding section, first, enable both TCP and UDP in the protocol field and put your PC's IP address in the Internal IP field.
- Put on both External Port and Internal Port all the RuneScape TCP/UDP ports, and restart your router (In some router programs you'll have to put it one at a time):
- PC: TCP: 43594-43595 / UDP: 43594-43595
- Steam: TCP: 27015, 27036, 43594-43595 / UDP: 27015, 27031-27036, 43594-43595
Want to know other ways to improve your gaming experience while playing RuneScape? Then check out our article on how you can improve your FPS in RuneScape, and if you want to know the best ways to display your FPS while playing any game, check out our article on how you can show your FPS in RuneScape. Now, if you want more tips about fixing High Ping in general, check out one of our related articles on how you can fix High Ping in Rainbow Six Siege.