Why does error 42 occur?
This is an error that is exclusive to PC players and relates to connectivity issues. More specifically, this error can happen for two reasons.
One is that your system does not meet the minimum system requirements needed to run Rocket League efficiently. Then the alternative reason is that you are experiencing connectivity issues. Meaning that your Wi-Fi or internet connection is poor and cannot support online gameplay at this time.
ROCKET LEAGUEERROR 42
These are both problems that have solutions, so this isn’t something that you should panic over. It’s not necessarily to do with your computer specs or your Wi-Fi connection. It can be internal issues that are upsetting the communication between these systems. This is a common occurrence and we are here to help you troubleshoot the issue.
How to fix error 42 in Rocket League
We have put together a number of methods that will look into all the various possibilities. Granting you the best chance of finding the root of the issue and solving the problem in no time.
Method 1 – Verify the integrity of the game file
The first method that can often be crucial to fix this error is verifying the integrity of the game file. What this means is that instead of uninstalling and installing the game again, the player can check the game’s cache and other files against the newest update belonging to the title on steam. Then if anything is missing or there that doesn’t belong, there is a way to fix this and return the game to full working order.
We have put together a quick step by step guide to help you through the process, putting your mind at ease and getting you back on the Rocket League field as fast as possible. Here’s the guide below.
- First, you’ll want to open steam and locate the library tab in the top left corner. Once you’ve done this, click the library tab and this should bring you to a menu with a list of your purchased games.
- Then you’ll want to scroll down until you see Rocket League on this list of titles. When you do, right-click on Rocket League and select properties.ACCESS TOSTEAM PROPERTIES
- This should bring you a properties menu specific to the title. Locate the ‘local files’ section and then select the option ‘check the integrity of game files’. This will then grant you the most up to date set of files related to Rocket League.
- Run the title and see if this has solved the issue involving online matchmaking.
If this has not solved the problem don’t panic, there are several other methods that relate to other potential fixes with this error code. Simply continue to follow the methods below until one works for you.
Method 2 – Adding an exception to antivirus software and disabling firewalls
The next problem that can cause this issue is antivirus software or firewalls preventing steam from accessing ports needed for matchmaking. These systems are known to often block communication to programs that use third-party servers such as Rocket League. So for that reason, it is sometimes necessary to check the settings for these systems.
ACCESS TOWINDOWS SECURITY
There are two ways to go about relieving this issue caused by these respective systems. The first is entering the settings as aforementioned and establishing new rules for the ports related to Rocket League.
Once, you have located these within the system or entered the ports into a rule setting option, the action needed is to establish that there is an exception made for these specific ports. This allows the software to continue protecting your system while allowing access to the needed ports through a manually made rule.
This is not always possible for players to do, especially when working with firewall software. So often you will have to disable or uninstall the system responsible for the blockage or breakdown in communication. This can be an issue for some players as they want their computer to be protected and safe. So it may be worth having a browse through other options for a more flexible system.
Method 3 – Forward the Rocket League ports
If the two above methods haven’t solved the problem then this might just do the trick. What you can do to resolve this error is forward the necessary ports.
This basically involves players entering their router’s settings and adding specific ports that are needed. Here is a step by step guide for you:
- The first thing you need to do is access the router settings. To do this you need to open a Web browser and in the search bar, enter your personal IP address. This should bring you to the settings menu
- Before you have access to this menu though, you will be prompted for your login credentials. So simply enter your username and password correctly to continue.
- Now you will have access to the router settings and will have the ability to forward any additional ports are needed. Depending on the system in question, these can vary quite a lot. Here is a quick list of the ones that you will need for each respective system:
TCP: 27015-27030,27036-27037 UDP: 4380,27000-27031,27036
TCP: 1935,3478-3480 UDP: 3074,3478-3479
TCP: 3074 UDP: 88,500,3074,3544,4500
TCP: 6667,12400,28910,29900,29901,29920 UDP: 1-65535
After you have successfully added the necessary ports, turn off the WiFi system and/or console. Then restart the system and check if the problem has been resolved.
Method 4 – Synchronize the windows time settings
For most systems, time settings are something that we take for granted. They usually optimise themselves and give us an accurate reading of the time. However, there are some cases in which the computer system will be unable to gather this information. Meaning that the time settings on the system are incorrect.
Within Rocket League, this can cause issues with online matchmaking. If the game has an internal clock that does not match that of the correct time, this can cause connectivity issues.
- Locate your clock settings which will be on the bottom right corner of your desktop. Once you find this, right-click the clock and this should bring up a menu.
- When this menu appears, you’ll want to select the ‘adjust time/data’ setting.ACCESS TOTIME SETTINGS
- This should bring you to your clock settings. From there, select the option ‘synchronise now’. This will get the latest updated time from a server and should fix any discrepancies involving time going forward.
Method 5 – Lower the resolution in Rocket League
Although the majority of these methods have been related to connectivity, this error can also be related to performance. If you are trying to enter matches and the game is running at a low frame rate and cannot support the highly rendered animations, textures and other graphical features that you are asking it to present. Then the system will realise this and simply not allow for matchmaking.
ROCKET LEAGUELOWER RESOLUTION
No one wants to have latency and underperforming gameplay. It will affect your ability to play to your potential and most importantly, your enjoyment. So here is a quick guide on how to lower the resolution in Rocket League so you can meet the minimum system requirements and get back to playing matches.
Get reconnected, get playing
As aforementioned, error codes can be the bane of a gamer’s existence. The inability to join matches, climb the ranks and team up with friends can be a sad and frustrating occurrence. Though in most of these cases, all you need to do is remain calm, assess the situation and a solution is usually never too far away.
With the methods above you can combat error 42 with the best chance of getting to the root of the problem in no time at all. Whether that be due to system requirements or connectivity issues. There is usually a quick and easy answer that will get you back to scoring goals and winning matches. Then you’ll soon wonder what you were stressing over in the first place.