Rocket League Error Code 71 is a matchmaking error that’s caused by server issues, network problems or attempting to play with an outdated version of the game. What error code 71 means is that there was a connection timeout as your game took too long to connect to the server.
These are the most common causes for Rocket League Error Code 71
- Server is down
- Player has an outdated version of Rocket League
- Network issue limiting communication to game sever
These are three simple problems with several potential solutions. It’s always a good idea to restart the game when you run into error codes since restarting the game or console are common solutions to most problems. If you’ve already done this and it’s still not working then the methods below will help you fix the problem.
Method 1: Check the Current Server Status
Something very simple that’s often forgotten about is the server status of the official Rocket League servers. Rocket League servers can go offline for maintenance, updates and other reasons too. Most of these will be announced on their official channels so if you follow them on social media then you’ll see announcements for this.
Here are the server status links so you can confirm if your platform is offline or online:
Method 2: Adding an exception to the anti-virus and disabling firewall
For most PC games, the first time you launch a game will bring up a permissions request so it can be added as an exception to the anti-virus and firewall. This is normally a requirement to play the game and it will close otherwise but software updates to the game, operating system and ones targeting the firewall or anti-virus can cause problems. It could remove the exception so it stops the game from working correctly.
Each anti-virus works differently so we can’t give you an exact guide that’s a one fit all. However, this is the general process:
- Open the anti-virus. If you have a small icon for it in the taskbar then you can right-click it and select the appropriate option to open a new window such as Settings, Open Security Dashboard or Open software. This depends on the software, however!
- Find the area about Virus protection (where this and what it’s called is depends on the software)
- Add exceptions for Steam exe and Rocket League exe
When trying to see how to add exceptions there’s normally a Browse option where you need to manually find each thing you want to add. We do advise that you search for the specific instructions for the one installed on your PC. The three steps above are the general guide to how it works but using a guide specific to your software will make things much easier.
These can be common problems for gamers. While we do need firewalls to keep our computers safe, it can cause issues with some multiplayer games. Usually, because there’s not an exception for the game or Steam.
A common solution to online game problems is to turn the firewall off while playing. First, however, it’s a good idea to make sure there’s still an exception for the game and Steam.
- Launch the firewall : If it’s Windows Firewall then go to Control Panel > Windows Firewall
- Find the section with Allowed Apps and open the full list
- Search for Steam and Rocket League (or whatever platform you play Rocket League on)
- Make sure the boxes for them are both ticked
That’s how you check the firewall exceptions to ensure the game can be played through it but if you can’t find Steam or Rocket League on the list at all then that’s a different issue.
How to add Rocket League to the Firewall exception list
Each firewall might look and work a different way but generally, there’s a similar process to this.
You’ll need to follow these steps to add them to the exceptions list:
- Open the Firewall and go to the Allowed Apps section
- Press Browse
- Search through the folders to find Rocket League Exe or Steam Exe
- Click the confirm button (could be Open or OK on that box)
- Press the Network Types button (the name might be different depending on the firewall)
- On that screen, select both network types and then OK
- Click the Add button then OK
Remember, it’s a good idea to check how to do this online for your specific firewall so you can be certain you’ve done this correctly. Each one works differently and might give you differently named boxes and options.
If you need to disable the firewall then you should also be able to find this option by opening the firewall. Where this option can be found depends on the software but it’s usually obvious. We have an example here for Windows Defender Firewall which comes with Windows 10.
How to disable Windows Defender Firewall
- Open Control Panel
- Go to Security & Systems
- Select Windows Defender Firewall
- Press the “Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off” option
- Turn it off
All firewalls have an on and off switch built into them and it’s not recommended you do this if there are other options to try first. Leaving the firewall turned off will leave your computer undefended and exposed to malicious software. Also, doing this requires administrator privileges so you will need to ask the house owner or designated IT person for permission to do this.
You must turn this back on after testing this or once you are done playing.
Method 3: Forwarding the Rocket League ports
We have a full-length guide on this topic to walk you through the full process. Forwarding the ports can sound extreme or scary but this is something that can improve your overall gameplay experience even if it doesn’t fix any problems. As a result, you can experience lag or network issues even with high internet speeds.
This is the way you add the ports to your router but we have a full guide explaining each step in detail here (include a link to the main guide). Keep in mind that you may need to ask the house owner or designated IT person in the house if you can do this first.
- Enter the IP address of the router into a web browser
- Log in with the router username and password
- Add the appropriate ports depending on the device you’re playing on
- Restart the router once saved
- Restart the gaming device as well
These are the Rocket League ports for every system. You’ll want to copy and paste them into the appropriate area once you’ve accessed the router settings.
The full details including the Rocket League ports you need for each platform can be found here: https://theglobalgaming.com/rocket-league/port-forwarding/
Basically, here is what you have to do:
- Access the router’s settings.
- Forward the additional ports that are needed. Depending on which system you play Rocket League, the Port Number can vary:
TCP: 27015-27030,27036-27037 UDP: 4380,27000-27031,27036
TCP: 1935,3478-3480 UDP: 3074,3478-3479
TCP: 3074 UDP: 88,500,3074,3544,4500
TCP: 6667,12400,28910,29900,29901,29920 UDP: 1-65535
- After you have successfully added the necessary ports, turn off the WiFi system and/or console. Then restart the system and check if the problem has been resolved.
Method 4: Restart or Reset the Router
If Error Code 71 isn’t fixed by the other methods then you’ll want to restart the router. If you’ve done Method 3 and forwarded the Rocket League ports then you’ve already restarted the game. Should that not work then you’ll want to consider a router reset but that’s the last resort since it will disrupt the rest of the household.
Restarting the router can help to fix various issues with Rocket League, online games and internet connection issues. This is a commonly recommended solution for fixing problems regarding the internet.
How to Restart the Router
This can vary depending on the product and they do come with instructions in the box. It’s also possible to find the exact instructions online.
- Unplug the Router: Some modern devices will have a switch to flip instead
- Wait at least 30 seconds
- Plug the router back in
Once plugged back in, it should take around 60 seconds to work again. It will take a minute or two for the internet to start working again then you can confirm the problem has been fixed.
How to Reset the Router
If you reset the router this means it goes back to factory settings. This changes the name and password back to the original settings the device came with so it also requires the original details that came with the hardware.
This also means that all connected devices will be unconnected from the Wi-Fi and you need to manually log them back in. Resetting the router means that it will have the original name and password it shipped with so you’ll want to manually change these to something new. Always make sure you speak with the house owner and designated IT, person, first then tell the others in the household this is happening so they aren’t caught out or have time to finish a game or save their work.
- Find the reset button
- Use a paperclip to hold down the button for 30 seconds
- Release it
After 30 seconds the router will automatically turn back on. If you want to manually change them to something better and easier to remember then this is what you need to do:
- Open a web browser
- Enter the IP address of the router into the search bar
- Sign in to it using the factory username and password
- You’ll get options there to change the name and the log-in password
- Get all devices and log-in to the Wi-Fi using the new password
Method 5: Restart the Device
The very first thing you should do when encountering an error code in Rocket League is the same as for any other game. Restart the game and then try restarting the device. Errors can appear if something strange happens while the game launches so restarting the game might fix the problem.
If restarting the game doesn’t help then restarting the device will.
- Press the Xbox button on the controller
- Go to System > Settings > General > Power mode & Startup
- Select Restart now
This will restart the console automatically and doesn’t require you to sit with the console to turn it back on.
- Turn the console off
- Wait at least 30 seconds
- Turn it back on
For the PS4, you need to do this manually. There’s a chance there could be an update to add a restart button in the future but for now, you need to turn the console back on.
For Nintendo Switch
The Power Button is found on top of the device next to the Volume buttons and is in a small indent which makes it harder to press by accident. Once you’ve found the button, just do this:
- Press and hold the Power Button for 3 seconds
- This will open the Power Options, scroll down the list to select Restart
All PC users know how to do this but if you’re brand new to PC gaming or are using someone else’s platform then this is how you do it:
- Go to the Start Menu which can be a Windows icon or an Apple icon
- Click the Power Button
- This is obvious on Windows. On a Mac, you may need to look through some of the menu options at the top of the screen.
- Select restart
Method 6: Update the Router Firmware
Software and hardware not being updated is a common cause for problems in the tech industry in regards to most modern items. While this is usually obvious, they can slip under the radar sometimes.
How to update the router firmware
This is generally the same for all routers but you might notice a few things are different from the instructions here:
- Access to the router settings by putting your routers IP address into an internet browser
- Log in with your credentials
- Go to firmware update
- Take the required steps to update your router (individual)
How to find your routers IP address
- Command Prompt: Open the command prompt on the computer. You can find the instructions specific to your operating software online will walk you through this.
- Enter “ipconfig” into the black box: Don’t include the quotes when you enter this and press enter.
- Find Default Gateway: The number attached to this if the router’s IP address.
Rocket League Error Code 71 is a problem caused by server issues, network issues or having an outdated version of the game. These three simple causes also have some simple solutions to deal with each potential problem. As a result, error code 71 shouldn’t worry you as it simply means something is causing you to be unable to connect to the servers.
Going through each of the methods will get your game back up and running in no time. These solutions should fix the problem for you relatively quickly.