Mods are a great aspect of any video game. With the installation of them, they can really help revitalise your interest in a game and can make some of your favourite games that little bit more special.
Despite just how much fun mods can be, they aren’t always the most straight forward aspects of gaming. Some games allow for very simple and streamlined mod support, but others aren’t always as easy as one might hope for. Especially for those users out there that hasn’t done any modding before this.
Hence the need for an appropriate guide so you can play your favourite online shooter with all of the mods that you can dream of!
Be Mindful of the Mods You Install
Installing mods with a primarily multiplayer game can be a risky venture. Some developers are really not happy with multiplayer mods, due to it affecting the overall play style of the game, which can make the experience unfair on other players.
Thankfully, with Star Wars: Battlefront 2, Electronic Arts have come out publicly, saying that it’s fine to have mods installed, providing that they are for “visual purposes only.” They’ve stated that if they “interfere with gameplay at any point or give an unfair advantage to you as the player, then it can possibly result in a temporary or permanent ban for the following user.”
With all of that in mind – let’s get on to installing some brand-new mods to keep the game all nice and fresh!
Downloading the Mods First
Before moving onto the more challenging step of installing the mods, they’re going to need to be downloaded in the first place. Easily, one of the best places to do that is a website called Nexus Mods. They have been considered one of the premier spots on the internet when it comes to downloading mods for years.
Are you on the lookout for a new mod for one of your favourite games? Nexus Mods is the place you’re going to want to look!
On the website, you’ll be able to look over several hundreds of different mods that can be made to Star Wars: Battlefront 2, many of which are purely visual and won’t affect the gameplay. Take some time looking through them all, pick some favourites, and then download them into a zip-locked file, such as 7-Zip or Winrar.
Once you’ve downloaded all the mods you wish to try out, you’re ready to move onto the next stage for getting them all up and running!
Installing the Frosty Tool Suite
Another necessary step before the mods can be properly installed is through installing the prerequisite modding software for Dice’s Frostbite engine. Frosty Tool Suite is a necessary mod manager that will make things nice and simple later on.
This can be easily found through the Frosty Tool Suite website and installed by following the upcoming steps as follows:
- Make your way over to the Frosty Tool Suite website and on the upper-right corner of the page will be several tabs to choose from. Clearly marked will be one that reads “Downloads” and is the page you’re going to want to head to next.
- On this downloads page will be two options: the Mod Manager or Editor. Click onto the Mod Manager option, as the Editor is designed for those that wish to create their own mods themselves.
- The download shouldn’t take too long before it is fully finished. Once it is, open up the zipped folder and place all of the contents of it into a brand-new folder. Name it Frosty’s Tool Suite to keep things all nice and simple as well. Otherwise it might easily get lost if you forget to name it early on.
- Now that you’re in the folder, look for the executable file that is named “FrostyModManager.” Double-click on that file and it will open up the tool, which will now ask you for the location of the chosen game you wish to mod – of which will be Star Wars: Battlefront 2.
Just as a reminder, this mod manager doesn’t only work with Star Wars: Battlefront 2. It will also work with any game that uses the Frostbite engine, so be sure to keep that in mind if you have any other EA games and mods you wish to install.
How to Set Up Frosty Mod Manager
When you open up the toolkit, it asks for a configuration and for you to find the location of the executable file for Star Wars: Battlefront 2. Something that isn’t that easy to do if you’re unsure on where you installed it in the first place, so these little steps should do the trick:
- Assuming that the software is already open, the only button that’s already highlighted should be “New.” Click on that for it to open the file explorer, which is where you’re going to need to locate where the game is downloaded.
- Unless the location of the game’s installed files aren’t in the default location, you should just be able to follow this step and be done. Go to the drive that the game is installed on > then move onto “Program Files (x86)” > and end with the folder “Origin Games”.
- Inside the Origin Games folder will be a list of all of your games that’s installed via Origin, with one of them being Star Wars: Battlefront 2. A quick look through that file and you should find the executable file for the game. Highlight that for the mod toolset and you’re all set to go.
Importing the Downloaded Mods
This is the final step to get those coveted mods that you’re after. With nothing more than a few quick and easy clicks, the mods will install themselves with ease and the game’s going to have that nice, shiny modded look/feel to it from now on. At least until you turn them off that is which is also done just as easily through the modding tool.
- In the upper-left corner will be a button that reads “Import Mods.” Click on that and wait for file explorer to open up. You will want to navigate to wherever your zipped folders for the mods have been downloaded – which is most likely going to be in “Downloads” automatically anyway.
- Find the mod you wish to install and then simply double-click on it. The file explorer will close and along the left side will be the title and version of the mod that you’ve just installed, alongside a description on the right.
- Once you’ve finished adding all of the mods you wish to install, click on the “Launch” button that has a play symbol next to it. The very first time you press launch, the game will state that “mod data path does not exist.” This is nothing to worry about, because as soon as you hit the ok button, it will create that pathway for you and you shouldn’t have to concern yourself with it any long.
- Now that the game has launched, take a look at the changes the mod has made to your version of Star Wars: Battlefront 2 and enjoy!
Do be mindful, however, if you install a bunch of mods at once and you find your game crashing upon launch every single time, try turning most of them off. Simply test each mod activated individually to ensure that they all work together seamlessly. Not all mods play nice with one another, so sometimes a little bit of picking and choosing is going to be required to make sure everything works as intended.
How to Turn Off Mods in SWBF 2
On the off chance that you need/wish to turn off the mods for whatever reason, all you have to do is click on the ticks for the necessary “Applied Mods.” These can be found alongside the right-half of the screen. It will show the list of mods that are installed and whichever ones that have a tick next to them are going to activate the next time you launch the game.
A quick un-tick will get the job done, until you decide to activate them again whenever you feel the need.
In conclusion, after following all of these necessary steps, you should be up and ready to go with all of your favourite mods for Star Wars: Battlefront 2. Since it has previously been stated, be mindful of the mods that you are installing. Last thing you’re going to want is to have your account banned or locked because of some silly little mod that shouldn’t have been installed in the first place.
Just remember, though, as long as they’re visual and don’t affect gameplay – you’ll be perfectly safe with nothing to concern yourself with in the slightest. Most, if not all mod-makers will be aware of this fact and will create their mods to placate this requirement of modding for Star Wars: Battlefront 2.
Now, go out into the stars and enjoy Battlefront 2 in all of its modded glory, regardless of just how wacky or wonderful they may be!