How To Make Fire Resistance Potions In Minecraft: A Step-By-Step Guide
Minecraft players drink potions or use a splash potion for quality of life improvements or to defeat the various bosses within the game.
Most potions provide the player with useful buffs or positive effects to improve their gameplay such as increased strength, faster movement speed, instant damage, and so on.
Making a fire resistance potion in Minecraft is one of the fundamental skills needed to survive, especially when you are about to explore or construct in the Nether dimension.
Gathering The Materials Needed To Make A Fire Resistance Potion
Here is a quick summary of all the needed materials a potion of fire resistance requires:
- Three Glass Bottles with Water (3 Sand Blocks/3 Glass Blocks)
- A Brewing Stand (3 Blocks of Cobblestone or its other variants + 1 Blaze Rod)
- Nether Warts
- Blaze Powder (Blaze Rods)
- Magma Cream (Blaze Powder + Slime Ball)
Note: Most of the items included in this list require you to go to the Nether dimension. You will need other items such as obsidian blocks to create a portal to go to the Nether.
Craft At Least 1 Glass Water Bottle
- Go to your nearest source of sand blocks such as riverbanks, beaches, and deserts.
- Dig up at least 3 blocks of sand.
- Then, place these sand blocks into a furnace to smelt them into glass blocks.
- Place the glass blocks on a crafting table in a V-shaped pattern to get glass bottles.
- Using the glass bottles, right-click any source of water to fill them up.
- These water bottles will serve as your potion bottles. Having 3 of them will allow you to brew up to three potions at the same time.
Travel To The Nether Dimension
- Build a portal and go to the Nether dimension.
- Then, locate a Nether Fortress.
- After which, kill some Blazes to get blaze rods to craft blaze powder and a brewing stand as well. Blaze powder is also used to craft magma cream, which is essential in crafting a fire potion.
Note: Be careful since Blazes deal a lot of fire damage.
- Once you have secured these items, find some Nether warts, the red fungus, that are usually found on soul sand near staircases within the Nether Fortress. They will be used to make the awkward potion needed in brewing various potions.
- After which, obtain at least 1 or more magma creams from the counterpart of slime mobs in the, the magma cubes. Keep killing the big bouncing magma cubes until they drop a magma cream.
- Then, go back to the overworld to continue making a fire resistance potion.
If you did not encounter any magma cubes in the Nether dimension, you can also craft magma creams by combining a blaze powder and a slime ball using a crafting table.
The magma cream is essential to brew a potion of fire resistance. Therefore, do not forget to kill magma cubes or craft magma creams.
How To Brew A Fire Resistance Potion
- Open the brewing stand menu by right-clicking on it.
- Ensure that the brewing stand has enough blaze powder as fuel in the upper left slot as well as the fuel bar. If not, place a blaze powder in the said slot of the brewing stand.
- Place 3 water bottles in the appropriate slots of the brewing stand.
- Start the brewing process by placing a nether wart in the ingredient slot.
- This will turn the water bottles into awkward potions.
- Then, place one magma cream in the ingredient slot.
- Wait for the brewing process to complete and done! You now have fire resistance potions.
How To Enhance Fire Resistance Potions
After the brewing process, you can further enhance a Potion of Fire Resistance by adding these optional ingredients:
- Dragon's Breath
- Redstone Dust
These ingredients enhance the potion effect by either turning them into splash potions, longer buff duration, or creating a lingering effect.
To make a splash potion of fire resistance, simply add gunpowder into the ingredient slot of the brewing stand right after brewing a regular potion of fire resistance. The gunpowder turns the regular fire resistance potions into a splash potion that have a distinct shape with a pointed top.
Splash potions of fire resistance can be thrown to a friend or to the ground. With this, the protection from fire damage will be applied instantly.
Moreover, if you add a dragon's breath as an ingredient slot after making a splash potion of fire resistance, it will turn into a lingering potion of fire resistance which will have a similar effect as the Ender Dragon's breath attack.
When you throw it to the ground, it will have an area of effect that will give you some time of resistance from fire damage. The buff will only apply as long as you stand in it.
Lastly, adding redstone dust as an ingredient in the brewing stand slot increases the duration of the fire resistance buff. This can also be added to already brewed splash potions or lingering potions.
Instead of the regular 3 minutes of fire resistance potion, adding redstone dust will prolong the buff duration to 8 minutes. The lingering duration will extend from only 45 seconds to 2 minutes.
You can brew your very own fire resistance potion in Minecraft. This potion will definitely help you explore near lava pools while mining underground or when you are exploring the vastness of the Nether dimension.