How to display FPS in Minecraft
When you show FPS, you can determine if something is out of place. Ideally, you should have 60 and more FPS. If you notice that your FPS is around 30, this is a good indication that you need to make changes to your graphic settings.
In this article, we will teach you how to show FPS in Minecraft and to improve it so that your game works better.
How to turn on FPS within Minecraft
Perhaps the best and quickest way to show FPS in Minecraft is by pressing a few shortcuts. Most people don’t know about this feature, and it can be a bit hard to remember which button you need to press (given that most people rarely use this function). Here is how you turn the feature on:
- Click the F3 button
- If that doesn't work, you need to click on the FN button first, and while holding it, press F3
- A lot of information will appear on your screen, which can be a bit overwhelming. The FPS metric will be shown in the top left corner of your screen
This is a really great solution that will also help you check some other stats.
How to turn on FPS with OptiFine?
OptiFine is one of the most popular Minecraft mods. It can be used to change various graphic settings within the game. Among others, you can use it to configure numerous details and objects such as clouds, stars, sky, moon, weather, font, colors, etc.
The tool is pretty simplistic, but it can have a major impact on your gaming experience. Here is how to use it:
- Go to optifine.net. In the upper section of the homepage, you will notice the Download tab
- Download the tool and install it
- Once OptiFine is up and running, you will be able to change your graphic settings
- Open up the game menu
- Click on Options, and then go to Video Settings
- Click on the Other tab (it is the last tab in the lower right corner)
- You will notice the Show FPS feature. You can turn it on or off
- If you wish, there is also a feature that would allow you to change Max FPS within the Video Settings tab. You can increase it or decrease it according to your desires
How to turn off FPS with Fraps
Fraps is a great tool that is often mentioned on this website. It has several amazing features, such as screen capturing. This makes it ideal for all sorts of purposes and, in particular, for taking screenshots of your gaming sessions.
In this case, we are more interested in its benchmarking function. The tool can show you FPS within the game, no matter which game we're talking about. You can turn it on from point to point, which can show you precisely where FPS dropped
Here is how you can install Fraps:
- First, you need to go to the company’s website Fraps.com
- You will notice a direct download
- The installation and downloading is completely free, and you can use the tool without any limitation
- When you launch the app, you will be able to click on the option that starts FPS overlay
- There is a section called “99FPS.” It is mainly used for benchmarking purposes. When you use it, you can choose the points where overlay starts and where it finishes
- Furthermore, you have access to some other features that might help you out. For example, there is an option of assigning hotkeys that allow you to turn FPS feature whenever you want
- When you set everything up, you can minimize the screen and start Minecraft
How to turn off FPS with Nvidia GeForce Experience
Nvidia GeForce Experience can help you in several different ways. It has one of the coolest, trendiest features among all screen capture tools – Nvidia Ansel. With Ansel, you can create high-definition game footage that cannot be compared to anything that other apps have to offer. The screen capturing feature is especially popular among YouTubers, gamers, and influencers on Twitch.
But, there is more to the Nvidia GeForce experience than just this. The app is somewhat similar to Fraps as it allows you to activate the FPS counter. You can also use it to create real-time videos from the gaming sessions. Lastly, the app will automatically modify your game settings, so they're optimal for your configuration.
Anyway, here is how you can turn on framerate per second counter with Nvidia GeForce Experience:
- Start by going to the Nvidia GeForce Experience website and downloading the tool
- Begin the installation process. When it's done, you should either log in to an existing account or create a new one
- When the tool is up and running, you should start Minecraft. While in the game, press Alt+Z to start the tool
- You will notice a gear icon that takes you to settings. Once there, click on In-Game Overlay to activate FPS. You will also have to choose a HUD layout before you can start it. Put the counter wherever you want.
How to boost your FPS in Minecraft?
In order to improve the framerate per second, you should reduce graphics to a minimum. Like with any other game, reduce your resolution, and turn off everything that you don't need.
You’re probably wondering why someone would want to display FPS in Minecraft?