Whether you're a content creator or simply want to share something impressive that you've done in GTA V, now it's more manageable than ever to record gameplay and your favorite clips. You won't even need an expensive capture card; all it takes is recording software.
What’s The Best Way To Record GTA V Gameplay and Clips?
If you never want to miss your best GTA V moments again, the best way to accomplish that is by using the two software which we're about to mention. The first one is Powder, and it's powered by artificial intelligence to automatically detect and capture the best GTA V highlights for you, so you can focus only on playing.
The second one is Gazoom, and it's more suitable if you wish to edit videos since it has advanced editing tools. Furthermore, Gazoom will auto-capture your GTA V highlights and upload them to a cloud, so you can access and edit these clips in just a few steps, even from your smartphone.
How To Record GTA V Clips In A Few Clicks?
The easiest method of recording gameplay videos or clips from GTA V doesn't require any third-party software; all you have to do is press F2 on your keyboard while playing GTA 5 to record a clip.
You'll be able to achieve this using the Rockstar Editor, which is already featured in the game. However, keep in mind that you'll only be able to record short clips, which are sort of automatic and may last somewhere between 20 seconds and around a minute. Furthermore, these recording clips will appear as a .CLI file and can be found in the My Documents folder, but you can't play or upload this format outside of Rockstar Editor.
The Best Methods Of Recording Gameplay and Clips In GTA V
These are our cherry-picked choices for recording GTA V gameplay and clips. Fortunately for you, there's a high chance that you already have some of these programs installed on your PC.
Method #1: Nvidia GeForce Experience
Here's how you can record GTA V with GeForce Experience:
- Download, install and run GeForce Experience.
- Click on the settings cog icon found in the upper right corner.
- Make sure to enable the in-game overlay by ticking the green button.
- Then, click on "Settings" under the In-game overlay option.
- Choose "Recordings" and select any folder where you want to save your GTA V gameplay videos.
- Head back, then select "Keyboard Shortcuts." By default, enabling recording is done with Alt + F9, but you can change it to anything you want.
- Finally, head back to the Settings and select the "Video capture" option.
Here, you can choose the length of instant replays, video quality, resolution, frame rate, and bit rate. By default, the Quality will be set to in-game resolution in 60 FPS, and the bitrate quality will depend on your GPU power.
Now that you have set everything up, all that remains is to press a keyboard shortcut for recording while you're in GTA V, and voila!
You can find all your GTA V videos and clips recorded by GeForce Experience in C:\Users\<Username>\Videos.
Method #2: Radeon ReLive
This is how to record GTA V gameplay using the Radeon ReLive:
- Download Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition from the official website. Install it, then restart your PC.
- Once your PC starts up, open the AMD Radeon settings and select the ReLive tab.
- Tick the ReLive button to turn it on.
Once you activate it, you'll have every available option in one place. This is certainly much more convenient than GeForce Experience, where you had to go back for each individual setting. To find your GTA V videos and clips, head to the C:\Users\<Username>\Videos\Radeon ReLive.
Method #3: Open Broadcaster Software
To record using the OBS, follow these steps:
- Download OBS from the official website. Install it, and once you run it for the first time, it will open the auto-configuration wizard in which you can optimize your settings for recording GTA V, streaming, or both.
- Select the preset profile according to your needs, and apply settings based on how powerful your rig is.
- Once OBS finally starts, click on the + under the "Sources" panel.
- Select a game capture, and click okay.
You'll now have three modes to choose from, which will allow you to capture any fullscreen application, capture a specific window or capture a foreground window with the hotkey.
Once you're ready, just press OK and click on "Start Recording" under the Controls tab in the lower right corner, or use the hotkey if you have previously selected that option.
If you'd like to change any options, click on the "File" and select "Settings." You'll have each available option there, like video, audio, hotkeys, and more. Feel free to experiment, but we recommend using the preset profile, so you don’t crash your PC.
When it comes to streaming GTA V to Twitch, YouTube Gaming, or other platforms, OBS is the mother of all, and there's a good reason why all the major streamers are using it. Again, this is proof that software doesn't have to be paid to be first-rate.
Method #4: Gamecaster
And if you opt for the Gamecaster instead, here’s how you can use it to record GTA 5 gameplay:
- As usual, download, install and run Gamecaster. You'll now have an option to log in or continue as a guest.
- Then, you'll need to answer the queries like do you mainly record or stream, what exactly would you like to capture, so that Gamecaster can automatically configure everything.
- Once you get past the configuration, simply click on the "Record," and that's it!
If you decide that you need to change something, click on the settings cog in the lower-left corner, and you'll be able to change only the basic stuff like hotkeys and sources, but you’ll need to log in to be able to change other options.
If you're interested in recording gameplay from other games, find out how you can record War Thunder gameplay as well.
How To Record GTA V Gameplay On Xbox
If you're an Xbox player and you'd like to record clips and share some memorable GTA V moments with your friends, simply hold the dedicated share button on the Xbox controller and release it to stop recording.
How To Record GTA V Gameplay On PlayStation
And if you'd like to record GTA V video or short clips on the PlayStation console, press the Share button on the controller two times to start and two times to stop recording.
Other Mentionable Ways Of Recording GTA 5 gameplay
There are, of course, way more alternatives that you could use to record GTA V clips and videos that didn't make a list. Some of them are:
- Fraps (It’s small and straightforward, but it costs money for full features)
- Xbox Game Bar (Already integrated into Windows 10 and above but has limited options)
- Action! (Records videos with up to 20x reduced file size. Unfortunately, it costs money)
- Captivate (Fantastic for making GTA V tutorials and walkthroughs, but it comes at a high cost)
- Shadowplay (Outstanding performance and ease of use, but it only works with Nvidia GPU)
- Outplayed (It automatically captures your best gaming moments and it is compatible with GTA V)
At the end of the day, whatever game recording software choice you make, we hope you'll record some fantastic GTA V videos and clips with it!