Best Greatsword combos, strings, and combat tactics in Brawlhalla
Discover the best combos and strings for Greatsword and learn how to really take an advantage over the enemy
The greatsword is a unique weapon, with a complicated and unpredictable moveset based on the opener, bridge and closer structure. The weapon is heavy, slow at times and does a good deal of damage when hits connect, making it one the best for dealing straight unadulterated damage. It however has a pretty high learning curve, and while the ground control works well the air combat is a bit less flexible and effective.
Check out the best legends with greatsword.
How to Play Greatsword: Tips and Tricks
The greatsword has a high force value that helps in gaining the advantage during the neutral game. Most combos will quickly get an enemy to yellow or orange in just a few swings, and the stringing is easy to do thanks to the peculiar 3 attack system.
Try to play grounded and catch the enemy either using a side light or a down light, then follow up with a short string to bring the opponent near the edge, in a position of disadvantage. Most combos have a high position manipulation factor, and you should use them to your advantage to try and get the enemy offstage as soon as possible.
The greatsword suffers from pretty predictable aerial combat, but most of the attacks are hard to punish.
Try to get back on stage using the recovery or play around the wall to annoy the enemy and bait it into a gravity cancel or an aerial attack.
Play near the edge and use the down air to punish enemies returning to stage. You can also play with your recovery, as the attack is wide and hard to avoid.
Use range to your advantage: The greatsword can swing long and with high damage. Playing floaty is suggested as you down air is such a big part of edgeguarding with this weapon.
The Greatsword Moveset
Swing the greatsword upward dealing damage in an arch. Standard and quick way to catch floaty enemies.
Poke with the greatsword in front of the character. A long reach option for grounded opponents.
A low slash that acts similarly to the sLight. Use it on grounded opponents or as a niche edgeguard option.
Bridge attacks are the intermediate stage of a greatsword string. You can perform them using a light attack after an opener, and only if the opener attack was from a different direction
Strikingly similar to the opener side light, this attack will thrust the greatsword in front of the character. Slightly longer than the opener side light.
There are two variants, one executed from the side light and the other from the down light.
- When used from the side light the greatsword user will do a quick slash, hitting enemies in front and above.
- When used from the down light the user will instead slash on the front, hitting enemies positioned in front of the character.
The character uses the greatsword to propel forward, hitting any opponent in his way. Particularly useful to move the enemy around.
Closer attacks are the final part of a greatsword combo, and can be performed after a bridge or after an opener when the same direction of the starting attack is chosen. There are three closers for each direction, and they hit far harder than an opener or a bridge.
The three closer attacks of the neutral light are long reaching slashes and will usually the opponent flying diagonally upwards:
- When used from the side light the resulting attack will strike upwards, producing a large slash above them.
- When used from the neutral light the swing will be diagonal, lifting the user in the air during the attack
- When used from the down light the user will leap and slash forward.
The side light closers are focused on horizontally directed attacks, and thus will typically throw the opponent horizontally.
- When used from the side light the user will poke with great force on the side.
- When used from the neutral light the character will slash with the greatsword forward, producing a downward angled attack.
- When used from the down light swings the greatsword with an upward angled slash.
The down light closers are focused on ground slams, and throw the opponent downwards.
- When used from the side light the user will jump and then slam the weapon on the ground.
- When used from the neutral light the character will slash with the greatsword downwards.
- When used from the down light swings around the body of the character, hitting the enemy on both sides.
An upward sword slash.
A downward sword slash.
A directly downward sword stab.
Fall through the air while holding the sword in front of you.
A powerful and long upward slash.
Best Brawlhalla Greatsword combos and strings
Quick combo that will throw the opponent upwards. Uses the greatsword attack structure.
Standard greatsword combo that will smash the opponent on the ground.
Fast position manipulation combo that will send an opponent flying horizontally.
If you are new to the game and have trouble remembering the controls, here is an infographic for both controller and keyboard:
Check out these legends with greatsword:
- Best Jaeyun Combos and Strings with Greatsword in Brawlhalla
- Best Mako Combos and Strings with Greatsword in Brawlhalla
- Best Magyar Combos and Strings with Greatsword in Brawlhalla
- Best Arcadia Combos and Strings with Greatsword in Brawlhalla
The greatsword has a unique moveset, with plenty of niche attacks that fit any kind of situation. While it struggles a bit on aerial combat it more than makes up for it with an absolutely devastating ground control. The weapon is suitable for players wanting a stringy experience, but be wary of the high learning curve.