Epic Games offers three two-factor authentication options for Fortnite players to choose from.
- Email authentication method. This method works by sending an email with your 2FA security code to the email address linked to your Epic Games account.
- SMS authentication method. SMS authentication operates similarly to email, but it uses an SMS text message. When signing in to your Epic Games account, they will send an SMS message to the phone number associated with your 2FA.
- Third-party authenticator app. A third-party authenticator app is an application installed on your phone that provides 2FA security codes for all your accounts in one place. Epic Games supports multiple third-party authenticator apps, but our preferred app is Google Authenticator.
To enable 2FA on your Fortnite account, follow these easy steps:
- Go to your Epic Games account page and select the Password and Security tab on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Tick the box beside your preferred method for 2FA.
- Verify 2FA by entering the 2FA security code provided to your preferred method of 2FA.
- If you couldn't verify your 2FA, you should consider trying a different method to enable 2FA.
If you're happy with your 2FA being enabled, you can go ahead and hop into some other Fortnite articles like the best weapons in Fortnite or best ways to win in Fortnite! Alternatively, you can continue reading to learn more about 2FA in Fortnite.
How To Enable Authenticator App for Fortnite 2FA
When it comes to email and SMS authentication methods, you probably already know the drill. Simply input the code sent to your email or phone, and you're off to the races.
However, using authenticator apps for 2FA in Fortnite is a different story. That's why we've included a unique guide for authenticator apps.
- Install your preferred 2FA Fortnite app from your device's app store. We recommend Google Authenticator.
- Scan the QR code in your authenticator app provided on Epic Games' website after checking the Third Party Authenticator App switch.
- Input the authentication code from your authentication app into Epic Games' website.
Why is Two-Factor Authentication Important for Your Fortnite Account?
Two-factor authentication (2FA) is crucial because it adds an extra layer of security to your Fortnite account. If someone tries to hack into your account with 2FA enabled, they would need access to at least two of your devices.
Conversely, without two-factor authentication, someone could gain access to your account with only your Epic Games account login information. Therefore, 2FA adds an important layer of defense to your Epic Games account security.
This added layer of account security is especially significant if you have any payment information stored on your Epic Games account. Two-factor authentication helps protect against unauthorized access to your payment details, which can have serious financial repercussions.
Moreover, you will need it to perform actions such as gifting skins or gifting the Fortnite Battle Pass. Not even mentioning the fact that you will need it to perform in Fortnite tournaments along the best players.