Everything You Need To Know About Foxes In Minecraft
Where Do Foxes Spawn In Minecraft?
Foxes in Minecraft commonly spawn in taiga biomes, old growth taiga, giant tree taiga and snowy taiga biomes in groups of 2-4, with 5% of foxes being spawned as babies.
Look closely when trying to find foxes, as they will blend in to woody areas well. White foxes are very hard to spot in snowy biomes.
Items Held By Foxes When Spawned
When foxes spawn, they have the chance to spawn with an item held in their mouths. This is the same when spawned naturally, via spawn egg or via commands.
Foxes can spawn with one of the following items in their mouths:
|ITEM HELD||CHANCE OF SPAWN IN JAVA EDITION||CHANCE OF SPAWN IN BEDROCK EDITION|
These items will spawn in whether the fox is a tamed fox or wild on spawn.
What Do Foxes Drop?
When killed by a player or wolf, a fox will drop:
- 1-2 experience orbs (Java edition only)
- 1-3 experience orbs (Bedrock edition only)
- Any item they are currently holding in their mouths
If a fox is killed while it's holding a totem of undying, it will consume the item and will revive itself.
Will Foxes Attack Me In Minecraft?
Foxes in Minecraft are passive, so they will not attack you even if you attack them first. Foxes will flee from players when untamed (as well as wolves and polar bears) unless they’re snuck up upon.
Fox kits naturally spawned will also flee from the player.
Do Foxes Kill Other Animals In Minecraft?
Foxes willl target certain animals in the game. A Minecraft fox will hunt other animals if tamed or untamed. Foxes will hunt:
- Tropical Fish
- Baby Turtles (when on land)
Adult and baby foxes can be seen rushing their target or pouncing on them (much like they do in real life) by lowering their heads and bodies before leaping 2-5 blocks high into the air.
This means that a fox jump can sometimes even clear fences or walls.
In the Bedrock edition of the game, foxes can be seen to bob and weave their heads before pouncing.
Foxes will also swim to attack fish, including tropical fish.
Foxes will wake up from sleeping to attack other mobs.
Do Other Animals Target Foxes?
Foxes can be hunted and targeted by wild wolves and polar bears, which are aggressive towards foxes.
Will A Fox Defend Me?
If a tamed fox who trusts a player is nearby when the player gets attacked, the fox will defend the player.
A Minecraft fox will defend the player against the following hostile mobs:
- Zombie Piglins
- Wither Skeletons
- Spiders and Cave Spiders
Foxes will also retaliate against polar bears, goats, pandas and wolves that harm the player.
How To Tame A Minecraft Fox
Taming foxes in Minecraft works a little differently than taming other creatures, you have to gain a foxes trust.
If two wild foxes are bred together, the baby fox will be tamed to the player and will trust them, but will still follow adult foxes around.
This becomes an issue as the untamed parents will run from the player, causing you to lose your newly tamed baby fox.
To combat this, either use a lead to tether the baby Minecraft fox to you as it grows up, or kill the two adult foxes.
How Can I Breed Foxes In Minecraft?
Foxes breed in minecraft by eating sweet berries or glow berries.
Sweet berry bushes are often found in the biomes foxes spawn in, and you can identify sweet berry bushes by their bright red berries, and the slow status effect that occurs when players walk past them.
To breed two foxes in Minecraft:
- Gather some sweet berries or glow berries by finding their bushes and pressing ‘use’
- Find one fox to breed, close to another one
- Sneak up to it by pressing and holding shift while walking towards it
- Make sure to hold the berries in your main hand and press use again to feed the fox one sweet berry
- Once the fox enters love mode, repeat the steps for the other fox
- The two foxes will automatically path find to each other in love mode and will breed to produce a baby fox.
A good tip is to keep a lead ready to leash the baby fox once its born, to stop it from running away with the parents.
Another good way to keep the foxes in one place when fox taming is to build a pen using fencing, to keep the adult foxes in the same area.
What Do Foxes Eat?
Foxes can actually eat any food item in the game they can pick up (except cake), eating held food items after 30 seconds.
This includes food that may harm them such as poisons, and also includes food that has other status effects such as enchanted golden apples.
If a fox in Minecraft is near a sweet berry bush (within a 16 block radius), it will run to the bush and eat all the berries off of it over time.
It will drop the item it was previously holding in its mouth and suffer no ill effects from the bush itself (unlike players).
Do Foxes Sleep In Minecraft?
Foxes are one of the few mobs in Minecraft that can sleep, and they are nocturnal in nature, coming out at night (low light levels).
You will find your fox sleeping during the day, in a spot with a sky light level of 14 of less, and they will awaken when approached by a player or a mob.
Foxes that are trusting (tamed) to the player can sleep on a lead.
Other Fun Fox Facts
- Foxes sometimes visit villages at night to attack chickens owned by vilagers
- Baby foxes are small enough to take drowning damage when swimming on the waters surface
- Foxes get status effects from weapons held in their mouths, as they technically hold items in their main hand
- Foxes can pick up and drop items in their sleep
- Foxes often screech at night unless a trusted player is nearby
- If a fox eats a bowl of stew, it will drop an empty bowl
- Foxes that are spawned in the snow are arctic foxes, and are white
- If a snow (arctic) fox and a red fox are bred together, there’s a 50-50 chance the baby fox will be red or white
- If foxes pounce into powder snow, they will get stuck for a period of time
- Artic foxes prefer to hunt fish, red foxes prefer to hunt land creatures
- A fox sits when players are idle