The reimagined pvp experience of Overwatch 2 is now a free to play game. Players can start downloading Overwatch 2 on PC or their consoles. While this is a straightforward process, there is some new content that players will want to know before they install Overwatch 2. From the battle pass to where you can download per console, this guide has everything you need to know about the hero-shooter by Blizzard Entertainment.
How To Download Overwatch On The Microsoft Store
If you already have the original Overwatch, it would have been replaced by Overwatch 2 with automatic updates enabled. If not, you can install it manually on the Battle net launcher. For the veteran Overwatch player on PC, that's all you need to do to download Overwatch 2. Additionally, you don't need to register your mobile number if you've played the Blizzard hero shooter after June 9, 2021. This also includes players who participated in the beta through invites or purchasing the Watchpoint Pack.
For the new PC players who want to try playing as the time jumping freedom fighter or the beat dropping battlefield DJ, here's what you need to do:
- Download and install the Battle net desktop app from the official website. Don't forget to register your Battle net account on the Blizzard Entertainment website while you're there.
- After creating a battle net account, log in to the desktop app. Then, look for the Overwatch 2 icon on the top of the app. You also jump to the All Games to manually search for Overwatch 2.
- From there, simply hit install to download Overwatch 2 on PC. You can play the game using the Blizzard launcher, as well as their other games.
Additionally, you'll need around 50 GB of free space to download Overwatch 2.
How To Download Overwatch On The Playstation Store
Overwatch 2 is also available to download on Playstation 4 and 5. The process to download it on the PS app is very simple:
- If you previously owned the first game, all you have to do is download Overwatch 2 on your Playstation. You don't need to search for it as it's an update.
- For console players without the game, search for Overwatch 2 on the Playstation Store or the PS App. Hit install, and you should be able to play Overwatch 2 regardless of your subscription model. It is a free to play game, after all, with a 30 GB download size.
- While waiting for the download, create a Battle net account on the official website.
- After preparing your Battle net account, go to Account Settings and click Connections. Make sure to link your account to your console so you can enjoy cross-play.
How To Download Overwatch On The Xbox
Overwatch 2 is also available for the Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S. You can download Overwatch 2 on the Microsoft Store or Xbox app.
- If you previously owned Overwatch, all you have to do is update Overwatch 2 on your Xbox.
- For new players, set aside 30 GB of free space to download Overwatch 2 from the Microsoft Store.
- Before playing, prepare your Battle net credentials on the official website.
- Then, under Account Settings, click Connections. You have to link your account to your Xbox console in order to use cross-play in Overwatch 2.
How To Download Overwatch On The Nintendo Switch
Blizzard Entertainment also ported Overwatch 2 to the Nintendo Switch. This means that PC players and all consoles can experience the game's unique heroes.
- First, check if you could simply update Overwatch 2 on the Nintendo Switch. If you're a previous owner of the first game and still have it on your system, this step is enough for your needs.
- Prepare 13 GB of free space on your console. If you're ready, search for Overwatch 2 on the Nintendo eshop. Click install, and you're good to go. Don't worry about subscribing to Nintendo Switch online, as it is a free to play game.
- Create your Battle net login details on the Blizzard official website.
- Go to Account Settings, and navigate to Connections. From there, link your Battle net to your Nintendo Switch so you can use cross-play in Overwatch 2.
Veteran players can start playing Overwatch 2 as if nothing happened. They have access to everything they unlocked, including cosmetics and heroes. Meanwhile, new players must undergo the new first-time user experience, including a guided tutorial. Additionally, new accounts must win 50 quick-play matches to queue up in competitive modes.