How to fix your High Ping in Overwatch 2 in a few clicks
Playing Overwatch 2 on dedicated servers can be painful if you don't know how to deal with high latency issues. And that's why, in this article, we'll show you 6 ways for you to fix any High Ping issues you might be facing in Overwatch 2. Before applying these tips, you must know how to show your Ping in Overwatch 2 first.
Method #1: Reboot your Router and Modem
The most effective way to solve multiple problems related to your internet connection is to reboot your modem and router devices. Doing this can also fix the High Ping you are dealing with when playing Overwatch 2. But rebooting your devices can be tricky if you don't know how to do it properly. Doing a decent power cycle can avoid the need for rebooting your devices all the time you have a network connection issue. Here's a step-by-step guide to how you can do it:
- Unplug both your modem and router from the power source.
- Wait approximately 20 seconds, and plug just the modem back on its power source.
- Wait 90 seconds more, and now plug the router back on its power source.
- Wait for all green lights to be on before testing your connection.
- Now, test if your connection is working and go back to play Overwatch 2 to see if your Ping has improved.
One thing to notice is that if you keep having heavy internet connection issues, you should contact your internet provider to see if these kinds of issues are occurring because of problems on their end. If the problem is not on their end, you should consider changing your router or modem devices.
Method #2: Open Ports on Your Router for Overwatch 2
Every time you are dealing with constant network issues in all the Overwatch 2 servers you play, remember to open your router's specific ports. Now, if you have never done this before, follow this step-by-step guide with attention:
- Before anything, you need to know your router's IP address and your PC's IP address. You can display both using the Command Prompt.
- Go to the Windows search bar, search for cmd, and press Enter.
- Now in the Command Prompt, type the command ipconfig and press Enter. The router's IP address will be displayed next to Default Gateway, and the PC's IP address will be displayed next to IPv4 Address.
- Go to your browser and enter the router's IP address in the address bar.
- The router program will probably ask you to log in with your Username and Password, do that to advance.
- Now, this next step will vary depending on your router, but try to find the Port Forwarding option.
- In the Port Forwarding section, first, enable both TCP and UDP in the protocol field and put your PC's IP address in the Internal IP field.
- Put on both External Port and Internal Port all the Overwatch 2 TCP/UDP ports, and restart your router (In some router programs you'll have to put it one at a time):
- PC: TCP: 1119, 3724, 6113 / UDP: 3478-3479, 5060, 5062, 6250, 12000-64000
- Playstation: TCP: 1119, 3478-3480, 3724, 6113 / UDP: 3074, 3478-3479, 5060, 5062, 6250, 12000-64000
- Xbox: TCP: 1119, 3074, 3724, 6113 / UDP: 88, 500, 3074, 3478-3479, 3544, 4500, 5060, 5062, 6250, 12000-64000
- Switch: TCP: 1119, 3724, 6113, 6667, 12400, 28910, 29900-29901, 29920 UDP: 1-65535
Method #3: Use an Ethernet Cable
Sometimes using a cabled connection isn't possible because of physical barriers in your home, but if there is this possibility, change your WIFI connection for an ethernet cable, mainly if you are using an external ethernet network adapter. Do this always a High Ping issue arise while you play Overwatch 2. The price of the ethernet cable can differ, but this doesn't interfere with the quality of the internet network connection. You are good to go with basically any cable that can work.
Method #4: Change the DNS Servers
Picking an alternate DNS server from the default can drastically improve your Ping while you play Overwatch 2. A more preferred DNS server address can enhance your Ping, especially if you have a weak internet connection. Follow this guide to learn how you can do it:
- Go to the Windows search bar, search for the Control Panel, and press Enter.
- Click on Network and Internet, and then on Network and Sharing Center.
- Go to the upper-right corner and click on Change adapter settings.
- Right-click on the network connection that you want to change the DNS servers, and click on Properties.
- Search for Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) in the list of items, and click on Properties.
- In the General tab, Mark 2 the Use the following DNS server addresses option.
- Now change the default DNS server for one of the following DNS servers for Overwatch 2, and click OK:
- Google: 184.108.40.206 / 220.127.116.11
- Cloudflare: 18.104.22.168 / 22.214.171.124
- OpenDNS: 126.96.36.199 / 188.8.131.52
To make sure everything is running as intended. Open the Command prompt and type the following command: ipconfig/flushdns. Doing this will flush and reset the content of your DNS resolver cache.
Method #5: Close Background Apps
Another simple thing that can fix High Ping problems is closing background apps consuming your bandwidth while you play Overwatch 2. Communication apps like Discord and Skype can take a lot of bandwidth, so remember to close those if you are not using them. In the Task Manager, you can see the list of apps running in the background. Just follow these simple steps to learn how to close these unnecessary programs:
- Right-click on the Taskbar, and click on Task Manager.
- Click on the Network column. It will show the apps in descending order. The ones with the most bandwidth usage will be first on the list.
- Select the apps that you want to dismiss and click on End task.
Method #6: Update your Network Drivers
It's important to keep all your computer drives updated to their latest version, including the Network Drivers. Windows 10 has a useful tool that automatically searches for the driver on the internet and sees if yours are up to date. Just follow these simple steps to learn how you update your drivers:
- Go to the Windows search bar, search for Device Manager, and press Enter.
- Click on Network adapters to collapse the list, and right-click on the first option.
- Click on Update driver, and choose the Search Automatically for drivers option.
- The system will see if you are using the latest version of your Network driver. If not, it will download and install the latest free version of the driver.
Want to know other ways to improve your gaming experience while playing Overwatch 2? Then check out our article on how you can improve your FPS in Overwatch 2, and if you want to know the best ways to display your FPS while playing any game, check out our article on how you can show your FPS in Overwatch 2. Now, if you want more tips about fixing High Ping in general, check out one of our related articles on how you can fix High Ping in ARK.