Is Overwatch 2 Cross-Platform?
It is no lie that Overwatch 2 is bringing in fresh air to the franchise in the form of new players and content. Overwatch 2 has also re-ignited veteran players' desire to battle, but many years have passed since Overwatch 1's release, and most gamers' situations have undoubtedly changed.
Hence the need for cross-platform, not only to bring old accounts back to new consoles, but to also reconnect friends on different platforms. To answer the burning question, Overwatch 2 does have cross-platform. Despite its flaws, Nintendo accounts, Xbox accounts, and PlayStation accounts can all connect amongst eachother and with PC players.
Overwatch 1 players should have already merged their accounts to Overwatch 2, but cross-platform progression requires more setup, which can be found lower down in this article.
What does cross-platform enable in Overwatch 2?
Cross-platform allows two major things:
- Overwatch 2 players can team up and queue with friends across all platforms, PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, PC, demolishing the separation consoles once had with player bases. This is mostly known as cross-play.
- Overwatch 2 players can keep their progression saved from each platform, and continue that progression on the same platforms whenever. This is known as cross-platform progression or cross-progression.
To find out how to set it up, continue below.
How do I enable cross-play?
Cross-play is actually really simple to set up. To play with your friends locked away among the several platforms Overwatch 2 is out on, all you need is one thing. Your friend's BattleTag. Overwatch 2 is available on the following consoles: Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 and 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X and S, and of course, PC.
After that, just add your friend through BattleNet or in-game. Once accepted, invite them to your party, and queue up into Overwatch 2's Console players however will enter the PC pool, removing their aim assist. Games may not be as pleasant without it, as console players will surely struggle versus the traditional mouse and keyboard. Cross-play is therefore still not perfect, but at least you can keep gaming with your friends, no matter the situation.
How do I enable cross-progression?
For players wanting to switch platforms permanently, or for those wanting to keep their progression as they dive in and out of their multitude of consoles, their PC on the desk, their PlayStation on the sofa; cross-progression is for you. No one wants their precious Overwatch hours lost. But how can we activate it?
To link your accounts to BattleNet and ensure cross-progression, follow these steps:
- Head to the BattleNet account website.
- Log into the account you wish to link.
- On your profile top right, select Account Settings.
- Select the Connections tab on the left.
- Click the "+Connect" button on the account you are linking.
- The respective connection will start the linking process through their site.
If you have already linked your account, you can simply unlink it using this page. It should be noted that platforms have a year cooldown between links, so be very careful, and double-check any information. After linking whichever account, your progress will now be stored on your BattleNet account, free to access from anywhere.