How to fix your High Ping in Dead by Daylight in a few clicks
Learn 6 ways for you to fix your High Ping in Dead by Daylight
If you have ever played Dead by Daylight as a survivor, you probably have experienced some unfortunate deaths caused by the lag with the game's servers. But you won't suffer from these connection problems anymore because we'll give you 6 tips that can fix your High Ping in any Dead by Daylight server. Before doing that, you must know how to show your Ping in Dead by Daylight first.
Method #1: Reboot your Router and Modem
Rebooting your modem and router is the most effective way to solve several problems related to your internet connection, as much as fix your high ping while you play Dead by Daylight. It's simple, but this method has the best potential to solve all of your problems for good. Pay attention because there's a right way to power cycle your devices, so you don't need to keep rebooting them all the time. Just follow this step-by-step guide to learn how:
- Unplug both your modem and router from the power source.
- Wait approximately 20 seconds, and plug just the modem back on its power source.
- Wait 90 seconds more, and now plug the router back on its power source.
- Wait for all green lights to be on before testing your connection.
- Now, test if your connection is working and go back to play Dead by Daylight to see if your Ping has improved.
One thing to notice is that if you keep having heavy connection issues, you should contact your internet provider to see if these kinds of issues are occurring because of problems on their end. If it's not on their end, you should consider changing your router or modem devices.
Method #2: Open Ports on Your Router for Dead by Daylight
Opening your router ports can drastically reduce lag in all Dead by Daylight servers, but opening these ports can be complicated if you have never done this. So follow this step-by-step guide with attention to not miss any step:
- Before anything, you need to know your router's IP address and your PC's IP address. You can display both using the Command Prompt.
- Go to the Windows search bar, search for cmd, and press Enter.
- Now in the Command Prompt, type the command ipconfig and press Enter. The router's IP address will be displayed next to Default Gateway, and the PC's IP address will be displayed next to IPv4 Address.
- Go to your browser and enter the router's IP address in the address bar.
- The router program will probably ask you to log in with your Username and Password, do that to advance.
- Now, this next step will vary depending on your router, but try to find the Port Forwarding option.
- In the Port Forwarding section, first, enable both TCP and UDP in the protocol field and put your PC's IP address in the Internal IP field.
- Put on both External Port and Internal Port all the Dead by Daylight TCP/UDP ports, and restart your router (In some router programs you'll have to put it one at a time):
- Steam: TCP: 27015-27030, 27036-27037 / UDP: 4380, 27000-27031, 27036
- Playstation: TCP: 1935, 3478-3480 / UDP: 3074, 3478-3479
- Xbox: TCP: 3074 / UDP: 88, 500, 3074, 3544, 4500
- Nintendo Switch: TCP: 6667, 12400, 28910, 29900, 29901, 29920 / UDP: 1-65535
Method #3: Change the DNS Servers
Choosing a good DNS Server can do wonders to minimize your high latency while playing Dead by Daylight. But first, you must know how to change your DNS server's IP addresses. This method can differ depending on if you are using VPN services or playing on dedicated servers. Follow this simple guide to learn how can change your DNS:
- Go to the Windows search bar, search for the Control Panel, and press Enter.
- Click on Network and Internet, and then on Network and Sharing Center.
- Go to the upper-right corner and click on Change adapter settings.
- Right-click on the network connection that you want to change the DNS servers, and click on Properties.
- Search for Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) in the list of items, and click on Properties.
- In the General tab, mark the Use the following DNS server addresses option.
- Now change the default DNS server for one of the following DNS servers for Dead by Daylight, and click OK:
- Google: 184.108.40.206 / 220.127.116.11
- Cloudflare: 18.104.22.168 / 22.214.171.124
- OpenDNS: 126.96.36.199 / 188.8.131.52
Method #4: Close Background Apps
Closing your background apps consuming your bandwidth can drastically enhance your Ping during your Dead by Daylight matches. Close your internet browser or communication apps like Discord and Skype that are taking away your bandwidth from the game. Just keep the apps that you really need, and close all the unnecessary ones. You can see all these on the Task Manager. Just follow these simple steps to learn how to end unnecessary tasks:
- Right-click on the Taskbar, and click on Task Manager.
- Click on the Network column. It will show the apps in descending order. The ones with the most bandwidth usage will be first on the list.
- Select the apps that you want to dismiss and click on End task.
Method #5: Use an Ethernet Cable
A simple but effective way to improve your connection in any Dead by Daylight server is by changing your WIFI connection for an ethernet cable., mainly if you are using an external ethernet adapter. Sometimes using a cabled connection is impossible due to physical barriers in your home, then at least try to stay as close to your modem as possible. One thing to notice is that the quality of the cable doesn't interfere with the connection quality, so you are good to go with an ethernet cable that works.
Method #6: Update your Network Drivers
It's important to keep all your computer drives updated to their latest version, including the Network Drivers. Windows 10 has a useful tool that automatically searches for the driver on the internet and sees if yours are up to date. Just follow these simple steps to learn how you update your drivers:
- Go to the Windows search bar, search for Device Manager, and press Enter.
- Click on Network adapters to collapse the list, and right-click on the first option.
- Click on Update driver, and choose the Search Automatically for drivers option.
- The system will see if you are using the latest version of your Network driver. If not, it will download and install the latest free version of the driver.
Want to know other ways to improve your gaming experience while playing Dead by Daylight? Then check out our article on how you can improve your FPS in Dead by Daylight, and if you want to know the best ways to display your FPS while playing any game, check out our article on how you can show your FPS in Dead by Daylight. Now, if you want more tips about fixing High Ping in general, check out one of our related articles on how you can fix High Ping in CrossFire.