Everything You Need To Know About Parrots In Minecraft
Parrots are an awesome tame for Minecraft players, acting as an early warning system and a groovy dance partner. Here's everything you’ll ever need to know about parrots.
Where Do Parrots Spawn In Minecraft?
Parrots in Minecraft spawn in Jungle biomes, as very rare spawns.
Jungle biome types they can spawn in are:
- Jungle biome
- Jungle edge (in the Bedrock edition)
- Bamboo jungle
There is only a 0.2% chance for them to spawn in Minecraft, and they usually spawn in groups of 1-2 parrot spawns.
Parrots only spawn on certain block types:
- Logs blocks
- Leaves blocks
- Grass blocks
Parrots can also be spawned in using spawn eggs.
What Do Parrots In Minecraft Drop?
Parrots in Minecraft drop the following when killed by a player or a tamed wolf:
- 1-2 feathers ( 1-5 can be dropped if killed with a weapon enchanted with looting III)
- 1-3 experience orbs
What Are Feathers Used For In Minecraft?
Feathers in Minecraft can be used for crafting and for head wear for the player (if equipped using console commands):
- Feathers can be used to craft arrows (1 feather needed)
- Feathers can be used to craft firework stars (1 feather needed)
- Feathers can be used to craft book and quill (1 feather needed)
Feathers can also be used in trades with expert fletcher villagers in the game, trading 24 feathers for one emerald.
What Do Parrots Do?
Parrots in Minecraft fly around the world, fluttering from tree to tree until they get tired, when they’ll float to the ground.
They will flock to other mobs (including hostile mobs) and will crowd them but not attack them.
Can Parrots Swim In Minecraft?
Yes, parrots can and do swim in minecraft, they swim by flapping their wings through the water.
Do Parrots Take Fall Damage In Minecraft?
Parrots don’t take fall damage in Minecraft, as they use their wings to fall slowly.
Can You Tame Parrots In Minecraft?
Parrots are able to be tamed in Minecraft, and are rather useful.
To tame one, you need to feed it one of the following foods:
- Wheat seeds
- Melon seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Beetroot seeds
Each time you approach a parrot and feed it seeds, there is a 1/10 chance of successful taming.
How Do You Tame A Parrot In Minecraft?
To tame parrots in Minecraft:
- Locate a parrot you wish to tame
- Ensure you have some of the taming foods available in your inventory (wheat seeds/pumpkin seeds/melon seeds/beetroot seeds)
- Hold the seeds in your main hand
- Approach the parrot
- Press ‘use’
When the parrot shows hearts around it’s head, they are tamed.
What Do Parrots Eat In Minecraft?
Parrots can only eat their taming food in Minecraft, however players can feed parrots cookies, however:
- In the Java edition, cookies will kill a parrot instantly, and ther parrot will emit poison particles
- In the Bedrock edition, cookies will inflict a parrot with fatal poison
What Do Tamed Parrots Do?
Tamed parrots in Minecraft can perch on the players shoulder and can warn players of nearby hostile/neutral enemies by imitating sounds.
Tamed parrots will follow the player (much like tamed wolves and cats) and can also teleport (like wolves) when the player gets too far away.
Players can also press interact on a tamed parrot to get their bird buddies to sit.
Pressing interact on a parrot who is sat will cause it to stand again, and parrots will only follow and teleport to players if they are not sitting.
How Do I Get A Parrot On My Shoulder In Minecraft?
Parrots in Minecraft will perch on a players shoulder if they are tamed.
Players who walk ‘through’ a tamed parrot that’s on the floor will automatically pick it up and place the parrot on their shoulder.
Parrots who are free-flying can also perch on a players shoulder on their own, with no prompt.
Players can have a maximum of two parrots perching at one time, one on each shoulder.
When Do Parrots Fly Off My Shoulder In Minecraft?
Parrots will dismount in minecraft when players with a parrot on their shoulder:
- Aren’t standing on a high enough surface (½ a block up)
- Drops off a ledge higher than ¾ of a block
- Takes any damage
- Has their feet in any amount of water
- Begins to drown
- Sleeps in a bed
- Puts their head in lava - the parrot will burn
Parrots cannot take damage when perched, however can be hurt once dismounted.
Do Parrots Imitate Hostile Mobs In Minecraft?
Parrots can imitate hostile mobs in the game (and some neutral mobs) when sat on a players shoulder.
Parrots that come within 20 blocks (cubed) of a mob will begin to imitate the mob’s idle noises, for example a creeper’s hiss.
Creatures the parrots can imitate include:
- Ender Dragons
- Guardians/ Elder Guardians
- Magma Cubes
- Skeletons/ Wither Skeletons
- Zombies/Zombie Villagers
Parrots will imitate to give players an early warning to nearby enemy hostile mobs.
Can Parrots Dance In Minecraft?
Parrots in Minecraft will dance when near a jukebox playing a music disk.
If a player brings a parrot within 3 blocks of a jukebox, the parrot will bob up and down and dance.
The jukebox must be playing music for the parrot to dance, however they will continue to dance once the music finishes, as long as the music disk is still in the jukebox.
Can You Breed Parrots In Minecraft?
No, players cannot breed parrots in Minecraft. You can’t find a baby parrot in Minecraft, as baby parrots do not exist. You can’t get a baby parrot from a parrot spawn egg or via console commands.
Will A Parrot Attack Me In Minecraft?
Parrots are passive mobs and as such, will not attack you or any other mob.
This also meas that parrots won’t defend the player, however they will warn players of nearby mobs with their imitating calls.
Fun Facts About Parrots In Minecraft
- Parrots will all dance in unison if close together and near a jukebox
- Parrots always look in the same direction as the player does
- Players ‘wearing’ a parrot on their shoulder will have it appear in their inventory
- In the Bedrock edition of Minecraft, players cannot enter a Nether portal if they have a parrot on their shoulder
- Parrots cannot each chocolate in real life, it is extremely toxic to them
- There are 2 types of splash text in the Minecraft menu screen that warn against feeding parrots chocolate and avocado
- The parrot’s dancing in the game is based on the real life Kakapo parrot
- Parrots are colorful birds and can come in green, yellow/grey, red or blue colors