Valorant Error Code VAN 102: How to Fix It
Bugs and errors are the biggest annoyance one game can have. Almost every game is riddled with them, including Riot Games’ tactical shooter Valorant. Errors and bugs are shown through an error message alongside an error code in the game.
One of these error codes is the Valorant Error Code VAN 102. If you have encountered this error code, do not worry because here you will learn why you are getting it and how to fix Error Code VAN 102 Valorant so you can hop in to climb ranks with the easiest agents!
The Reason behind Valorant Error Code VAN 102
Error Code VAN 102 represents a connection error code like Error Code VAN 81. Connectivity issues can appear for a lot of reasons in the game, and they are not limited only to bad Internet connection as players may assume.
One reason for Valorant Error Code VAN 102 can be if a bad start of the Riot Client was made. The Riot Client is an entry point into the Valorant game, meaning that the whole start of the game begins from it. If it doesn’t connect properly, you can be hit with Valorant Error Code VAN 102.
Another reason for Error Code VAN 102 has to do with the Riot Vanguard and its VGC Service. Although Vanguard may be one of the best anti-cheat systems out there, that comes at a cost. The Riot Vanguard has been a cause for tons of error codes, including Error Code 44 and Error Code VAN 102.
Knowing why you are getting this error code is crucial for you to know what every solution below does to help you fix Error Code VAN 102!
How to Fix Valorant Error Code VAN 102
Restart the Riot Client
The first solution you can try that the error message recommends is to restart the Riot Client. Although you can simply press the X button and leave, you may have to take more measures towards guaranteeing a full game client restart.
To fully restart the Riot Client, click Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open up the Task Manager. Select the Processes tab above and locate the Riot Client. Once you locate the Riot Client, just right-click it and click on End Task, which will close off the Riot Client process for good. What you could also do is restart other Valorant game-related processes, which increases the chances of fixing Valorant Error Code VAN 102.
After this, you may also want to restart your PC too, open up the Riot Client and start top fragging with the best skins in the game!
Though if this didn’t fix your Valorant Error Code VAN 102, do not worry as there are still plenty of solutions left for you to try out!
Restart Router and PC
Not only can a restart of your Router and PC fix Error Code VAN 102, but it can also fix up some other Internet connectivity issues and prevent other connection error codes! This cleans up some temporary files that have started to build up between your PC and Router, which can improve framerates too for your kills with Chamber!
To restart your router, you can simply unplug the cord from the power for around 1 minute and connect it back, or disable it if it has a button for it. To restart your PC, click the Windows key, right-click the Power option, and select Restart.
After you’ve done this, you should be good to go in starting the Riot Client and playing the game! But if you still got hit with Valorant Error Code VAN 102, the issue most probably lies within the Riot Vanguard.
Change the VGC Startup Type
The VGC Service is what enables Riot Vanguard to function properly. So if it doesn’t start working as it should from the get-go, you can get Valorant Error Code VAN 102. In this situation, you should change the VGC Startup Type.
To do this, press the Windows Key+R which will open up Run. Type in “services.msc” and hit Enter. This will lead you to a new window with all sorts of services, your goal is to locate the “vgc” service. Once you find it, right-click it and select Properties. In here, change the Startup type option to Automatic, click on Start and select OK.
Make Exceptions for Valorant in Windows Firewall
The Windows Defender Firewall’s reason is to protect the user from threats. Valorant runs in such a unique way that it needs full control of your PC, including the Firewall. So if it doesn’t have access to it as it should you can get Error Code VAN 102. That is why you should make an exception for Valorant in Firewall. Next up you’ll learn how you can do that:
- In the Search Bar below, search for “Firewall and network protection” and open up the first option
- Click on Allow an app through firewall
- Click on Change settings and select Allow another app…
- Select Browse and locate the Valorant app.
- You can find the location by typing Valorant in the search bar below, right-click the game, and selecting Open file location. In this folder, right-click VALORANT and again select Open file location. Copy the address above, in my case and most probably for you too it is “C:\Riot Games\Riot Client”
- In the Browse Window, that we had opened previously, paste the location above, select the RiotClientServices app, and click on Open
- On the initial Add an app window, select Add
- At the Allowed apps window with all apps through Firewall, locate the Riot Client and make sure both Private and Public boxes are ticked
You could also make exceptions for Riot Vanguard which you can find out here in Error Code 128.
If this neither fixed your Valorant Error Code VAN 102, then the last resort for you is to
Reinstall Riot Vanguard and Valorant
The last solution you can try to fix Valorant Error Code VAN 102 is to uninstall Riot Vanguard and reinstall Valorant. This solution also helps out in fixing Error Code 81 too. It can help resolve corrupted game files, so here’s how you can do both:
Uninstall Riot Vanguard
- In Task Manager make sure you have closed off the game client and Vanguard. You can also check the System Tray (arrow pointing upwards below on Windows Taskbar), and if you notice Vanguard or Valorant here, right-click them and close them off
- In the Search Bar below, search for Command Prompt, right-click it and run it as an Administrator
- Type in the following commands one by one:
- “sc delete vgc”, press Enter and
- “sc delete vgk”, press Enter
- Restart your PC
- When your PC boots up again, in the Search Bar below search for This PC and open the first option
- Locate the Riot Vanguard folder. Its most probable location should be in the Program Files folder on the C Partition (“C:\Program Files\Riot Vanguard”)
- Select the folder, right-click it and click on Delete
Uninstall and Reinstall Valorant
- In the Search Bar below, search for Apps and features and open the first option
- Find Valorant
- Once you find it, select it and click on Uninstall
- With this, you have uninstalled Valorant. Now go to the official Valorant site and reinstall it anew
A fresh reinstallation of the game has helped out tons of players fix Error Code VAN 102. But if this didn’t fix your connection error code either, then you should
Contact Riot Support
The Riot Support team’s purpose is to help each and every player with any error codes they may face. If your Valorant Error Code VAN 102 still persists, you can submit a ticket to the support team about it here on their support site banner.
Riot ID problems, a secure boot required, or even a Valorant ban, error codes can truly appear for a lot of reasons in Valorant. That’s why you should take your eyes off “national news and India news” and put your focus towards trending news about Valorant error codes with their solutions and visit the Valorant Error Code Hub! Though if you have encountered Valorant Error Code VAN 104, you can check it out here.